Update: The Neo Muyango Trio at DSG today (2 July) at 12:00. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, the trio will not be able perform at the Festival. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. If you have already bought a ticket, you may exchange it for a ticket to Soli(d)arity, Neo Muyango’s solo performance this evening at Thomas Pringle Hall at 18:00 or to attend the performance on 5 July at 18:00 (Thomas Pringle). The performance on 5 July will be a variation of the works that would have been performed today. Ticketholders who are unable to attend either of these performances should contact the Box Office for a refund.
While we make every effort to ensure the information in the programme is correct, changes to schedules, cancellations and additions are ongoing. The website and app carry the latest information about events.
Here are the latest updates to make note of before you head out for the day…
Story time at NELM
Bring your children along to this beautiful venue to listen to well-known theatre makers share stories. Free. Daily at 10:30 and 15:30 (Stories for children at the Story amphitheatre)
- The Lorax by Dr Zeus read by Kyla Davis at 10:30
- The Stranger and His Flute by Sindiwe Magena, read director Lara Bye at 15:30
What I Learned From…
Listen to 5-minute talks from different speakers about life-changing lessons. Daily at the Yellowwood Terrace (2nd floor, Monument) at 16:00. Free
- Lakin Morgan-Baatjies from UJ
- Hleze Kunju on “Writing my PhD in isiXhosa”
- Siv Ngesi on “Branding, Marketing and self-belief”
Expect other cool and interesting topics by speakers – names will be leaked on Twitter and Facebook.
Half Price Hut
Tickets for the following shows are on sale at 50% of the face value from the Half Price Hut caravan on the lawns outside the Steve Biko building (Rhodes University campus in Prince Alfred Street).
Please note: The number of half-price tickets is limited and are on a first-come first-served basis – no online or advance bookings.
- JitterBugs on 2 July has been replaced by a children’s workshop because of the unavailability of a cast member due to an emergency. All other performances remain as advertised. Ticket holders can attend the workshops, request a refund from the Monument Box Office or exchange their tickets for the performances on 3, 4 and 6 July.
- My Suburban Struggle – 6 July @ 16:30 is a 2-for-1 performance
- Cia – Ticket price for this event is now R50
Regretfully, these events (all performances) have been cancelled:
- Spiritfest Winterschool talk on 5 July entitled Biko’s Faith
- Rhodes University debate on Radicalism & Transformation on 5 July at 14:00
- Pheko Ya Pula @ Gymnasium
- Dark City @ City Hall
- Call a Spade a Spade @ Scout Hall
- Where Are We Going? @ PJ’s
- Lost @ NG Kerk Hall
- My Boarding School – Ikanana @ NG Kerk Hall
- It’s Never too Late to Make a Change @ PJ’s
- I’m a Poet (Fringe Film @ Ntsikana Room
Only single performances of these shows have been cancelled. All other performances are as advertised.