National Arts Festival 2018: Expressions of interest
[UPDATE] Please note the deadline for submissions has been extended to 9 August 2017
The National Arts Festival is the largest celebration of arts, culture and creativity on the African continent. The 2018 Festival will take place from 28 June to 8 July. Local and international artists and presenters interested in having their work considered for the Main Programme of the 2018 Festival are invited to register expressions of interest below.
- Click here to find the online submission form for #NAF18 Main Programme proposals
- The deadline for submitting expressions of interest is 31 July 2017 – extended to 9 August 2017
- Enquiries: proposals@
The Festival will give preference to expressions of interest that align with one or more of the following criteria:
- PREMIERE OF NEW WORK: Premieres of new productions, exhibitions and concerts by well-known or established South African or international artists.
- CUTTING-EDGE WORK: Provocative productions, exhibitions, new music and digital arts interventions that can generate an active dialogue both in terms of form and content.
- COLLABORATIONS/CO-PRODUCTIONS: Proposals for collaborations with South African and non-South African artists and managements and / or festivals to co-produce work that may require more than one partner for the effective funding of productions with the proviso that such productions have strong artistic merit.
- MULTI-DISCIPLINARY PRESENTATIONS: The National Arts Festival recognises that an increasing number of South African artists are creating work that interfaces across genres and also with different forms of media and welcomes such proposals that reflect changing trends in arts practice.
- DIVERSITY: The National Arts Festival presents work that reflects the broad demographic of South African arts practice.
Expressions of interest will be reviewed by the Artistic Committee in association with the Executive Producer. Note that proposals for any work that has been presented at the National Arts Festival (including the Fringe) during the past five years will not be considered.
The 2018 Arena programme
Winners of the Standard Bank Ovation Awards 2017 will receive written invitations to submit proposals for the 2018 Arena programme.
The Fringe in 2018
Fringe applications will be available in October and registration will close in January 2018. Forms and information booklets will be available online on this website. Fringe enquiries should be directed to Fringe Manager ZikhonaNweba by emailing email@example.com or calling +27 (46) 603 1177.